Saturday, September 19, 2009

Culture Shock


Hello everyone! Sorry its been awhile. Let's see, where to begin...

So we went to Manuel Antonio last weekend. It was pretty, but very touristy. Someone was always trying to sell u something and the taxi fares were JACKED! But we did have a sloth living in a tree right outside our hostel so that makes up for it. Lol. The hostel was much nicer than I expected. We had access to a kitchen, pancakes in the mornings, internet access, and decent beds. I was happy. Some of the girls think they got robbed though because they left their wallets in an unlocked cupboard over night and were missing money the next day. I don't think I did though so whew! I didn't get surfing lessons like I had planned because we really didnt have a lot of time there. I did borrow a friends and tried it twice. I stayed on my stomach the first time, and got on my knees the second. It was really fun so I think next time I hit the beach, I may get my own board...maybe lessons. Wh0 knows. The scariest thing that happened there was that some of the girls saw a crocodile in the ocean! Luckily we weren't swimming at the moment, but we had been swimming earlier! lol. Oh well. None of us got eaten so it's all good.

Sunday we came back and get this....we get football here! Like real NFL american football! Its amazing. I had resigned myself to not seeing a game until I got back, but I have seen four since I have been here! Tomorrow is Cowboys and Giants! Gotta love sundays.

Oh I got my presentation and test grade back. I think I got an 89 on my presentation which surprised me because I stuttered a lot. My test went really well too. So that's a relief. Now I just have one more presentation and one more test this week for this class before it ends. I guess I should start working on that pres...ick.

Tuesday we didnt have school because It was Costa Rica's independence day! We went downtown and caught the very end of the parade. We intended to see ALL of it, but three diff ppl told us three diff start times. Lol. That's just how it is down here. No one really knows what's up and no one really cares. Pura vida. Go with the flow. I have the cutest picture of these two little girls dressed for the holiday. I'll have to put it up later since I'm not on my computer right now.

Wednesday I went to a movie and get this...the ticket cost me less than two dollars! Wednesdays are half price here! Its my new favorite thing to do. The movie is called the Time Traveler's Wife in the states, but here it is Te Amare Siempre, which literally translates into I will love you forever. Not exactly the same title. Lol. It was in english, but with spanish subtitles. I wonder if all the humor and other emotions translate well? I think this wednesday we are gonna see The Ugly Truth. Speaking of which, everyone here now swears that I look like Katherine Heigel. I don't see it. But they wont shut up about it! Lol.

I went bungee jumping this morning. That's right. I jumped off a bridge with rushing water and huge rocks at the bottom. It was AMAZING. I have never felt anything like it and I cant wait to do it again. U feel like u can fly. The crazy part is u are seriously only strapped in and caught by your ankles. It was great. They taped it for us so I will put the video up sometime on facebook. So so worth the money.

Tomorrow we are going to see Romeo y Julieta at the national theater downtown. I'm pretty excited to see what it's like. They say it's a really pretty building and I'm wondering how it compares to the Fox. The only disappointing thing is that it is in English. But maybe it will have a different style to it since it's Latin American. I swear, no matter where u go, u cannot escape English. It's everywhere.

Well I guess I better go do laundry. My running clothes seriously SMELL. Lol. Love you all!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment