Monday, November 2, 2009

My Host Family


So I realized I havent introduced you guys to my host family and I have been living with them now for a month! First I'll explain the dynamics. There is a Mom named Sonia and I'm not sure how old she is, but if I had to guess I would say 50 something. Then there is Aldo, the son. He is 26 and is a lawyer. The daughter's name is Laura. She is 24 I think and is an architect. The last person that actually lives in the house with us is Rosa. She is the maid from Nicaragua. She can't read or write, and her children still live in Nicaragua with her mom so she hardly ever gets to see them. It's sad. At first I didnt know how I felt about her because when I tried to talk to her, she seemed a little rude. But that was before I knew anything about her. It's amazing how learning about someone's life can change your perspective of them. She must be so sad and uncomfortable all the time. She has only been living here for about 7 months, so she may not be used to everything in Costa Rica yet. I know I'm sure not. The other day for the first time, she came into my room and had a conversation with me! She asked who were all the people in my pictures that I put up in my room so I got to tell her bout everyone! She told me J was really handsome and that Jimmy and Jack were super cute! So true. Lol. I like Rosa. It's still uncomfortable for me to have a maid. I don't like it at all because I just feel bad when I come into my room and stuff is straightened up. Plus I know where everything is in my slight disorder...but then she moves it. Lol. Oh well. I'm just happy to have met her.


Ok so back to the rest of the family. There is a dad. His name is Mario and he is Italian. But he and Sonia are separated. He visits for dinner every wednesday and friday night. Its a little strange that he still comes over to me, but I guess if they are happy like that then rock on. I don't really talk to Mario much. As for Sonia...sometimes I think she is ok and sometimes I just flat out don't like her. She can be mean and rude in my opinion. She is very moody. And at first we didnt get much food, but now its better cause we had our program say something to her. Mostly i'm disappointed because I expected to be more intergrated into the family. If my family hosted a student, we would include them in our lives. But for Sonia, it seems like its all about the money. We pay quite a bit of money to live here and she can make decent money off us, especially if she skimps on food. She has been hosting students for 15 yrs though, so they may have something to do with it. I just feel like we are a hassle for her and we are just something to be put up with so she can get her money. But oh well. I'm making the best of it. I was considering moving out because my roommate was going to. We were going to move in with a different family and hope it was better. I decided over this past weekend that I wasnt going to move though because I love my tico brothers (yes i know i only told u bout one...i'm getting to that). And then when I got home yesterday, my roommate had changed her mind bout moving. So we are both staying. Its only 7 more weeks.


Aldo is my ACTUAL tico brother cuz he lives here, but Alberto practically lives here. Lol. He is here like four times a week to watch some sort of game on the big tv. He is Aldo's best friend. They joke with me alot and I love it. It reminds me of my family back home, especially chris since he always messes with me. I give it to them right back though! I feel like I have the best bond with them outta of the girls that live here with me (there are three other gringas) because I'm always down there watching the games with them: football, soccer, baseball, whatever. And alot of times Aldo has other friends over like Jonathan, Diego, Cucho, Rashid, Juan Carlos, and Jose. They are pretty cool. They dont seem to mind me hanging around them. It just makes me feel more at home. And of course they give me grief for being from st. Louis and having the Rams as my football team. How embarrassing. Lol.


Laura actually isnt here that much so I really never talk to her. Mostly what keeps me from talking more is the hassle of being misunderstood. But i'm slowing getting over that. I actually talked to Laura last night bout how badly burned my face was. Ya...its bad. I didnt wear sunscreen this past weekend and normally that wouldnt be a problem, but I didnt realize I was surfing for 3 straight hrs and so the sun was reflecting off the water right onto my face! Ouch. One more member of the family to comment on....Isaac....the ugly poodle. Gosh I hate small dogs. He is so annoying too! Always whining and pooping and peeing ALL over the house. It's really gross. I have stepped in pee quite a few times...and u all know how often I walk around barefoot. Ya...ick.


Speaking of ick, the house has a spider and cockroach problem in addition to those tasty little ants I already told u about. I killed two spiders on the wall by my head last night as i was laying down to go to sleep. Awesome.


And did I mention the left side of my bed is permanently sunk in? Lol. Its an old memory foam type mattress and I think it has lost its will to return to it's original shape. When I lay down I automatically roll left. Lol.


There is also a weird, old, pagan, renainssance looking painting hanging in my room. The colors are pastel and faded, and it's framed in a cheap metal that looks spray painted gold. Definitely not my taste. And its always crooked! Drives me nuts. The rest of the room is very old fashioned. Think country home-ish. Robin egg blue walls, wallpaper, old wooden desk, heavy dark curtains, etc.


I never did tell you guys bout Isla Tortuga!!! We went a few weekends ago and it was really fun. It took awhile to get there and we only got to stay on the beach for four hours, but the trip there involved a nice boat so that was cool. On the island we played sand volleyball, which I rocked at! I showed up almost all of the other girls and a majority of the boys too! It was fun....wow I'm competetive. Lol. I ate ceviche which is barely cooked cut up fish soup. It was really good. I kayaked with Dani out to a big rock in the OCEAN!!! and I rode on a banana boat which is really just a big inflated tube that you straddle with like 5 other ppl and they pull you around behind a boat and flip you off a few times. It made me miss going to the lake every summer.


Well I'm gonna take a break for now. I feel like this post is long enough. But I might write later tonight to tell you bout this past weekend in Jaco for Halloween! It was crazy. Good times. Love you all!


-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment